Tuesday, March 23, 2010

When the past and present collide

It was 235 years ago today, at St. John's Episcopal Church in Richmond, VA, that Patrick Henry (the first and sixth Governor of post-colonial Virginia) exclaimed to the House of Burgesses, "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

The affluence enjoyed by the people of our great Nation, and all too often take for granted, is the direct byproduct of the courage and sacrifices made by those who, in this era of acute hypersensitivity, are more often derided than praised.  And tragic as that is, the Republic they founded is now on the verge of changing in a very big and unfortunate way.

In the next post, I will explain how even a simpleton like me can see that a freight train running at 200 mph is (possibly) about to slam head-first into the mother of all barriers.

No comments: