Thursday, March 11, 2010

Christians outside of America (are hunted like animals)

I used to maintain a scrapbook of newspaper and magazine articles that caught my attention.  One I kept was a USA Today piece by Columbia University journalism professor Samuel G. Freedman entitled, "Terrorists target local Christians."  A key sentence reads as follows:

"By using the terms 'Crusader' and 'infidel', [Osama] bin Laden has played on the image of Christians as the invaders, the oppressors, and the overdogs.  And by conflating Christianity with the West, journalists and politicians have inadvertently evoked the same archtype [sic]."

Back then, sometime around my early to mid-20s, I had an unfortunate habit of omitting the date from the clipping, and Freedman's website, in fact, does not list this particular work among his contributions.  Yet I am looking at the article as I write this very sentence, so I'm going to assume its existence is legitimate.

Volumes could be written about all that Christians have suffered in the name of Christ in just the past 12 months.  But instead of offering a diatribe of my own, I believe a recent piece about the current happenings in Nigeria sheds a more comprehensive light than anything I could offer:

No comments: