Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday's Quote: God & Darwin

A couple of friendly acquaintances I know through the blogosphere have been questioning God lately.  One, a non-Believer from the UK named Steven (aka, Vilges), respectfully asked about my position regarding the existence of God, which I have lazily put off until I become organized enough to write a worthy follow-up.  The other, a good-natured agnostic named Holly, recently wrote a piece regarding, among other things, the balance between Faith and proof.  I was tempted to respond, but I was afraid she would misinterpret my rebuttal(s).  So I deferred.

Because separating the Truth from extremism, or any variant thereof, is the ultimate challenge in dealing with a God who plays by His own rules instead of ours, I thought a quote from an unabashed Conservative regarding an issue the non-Believers think they own would be in order:

"My conclusion is that it is not religion but atheism that requires a Darwinian explanation.  It seems perplexing why nature would breed a group of people who see no purpose to life or the universe, indeed whose only moral drive seems to be sneering at their fellow human beings who do have a sense of purpose.  Here is where the biological expertise of [Richard] Dawkins and his friends could prove illuminating.  Maybe they can turn their Darwinian lens on themselves and help us understand how atheism, like the human tailbone and the panda's thumb, somehow survived as an evolutionary leftover of our primitive past."
-- from "God knows why faith is thriving" by Dinesh D'Souza, San Francisco Chronicle; October 22, 2006

Note: The author of over 10 books, including Life After Death: The Evidence, Mr. D'Souza is a graduate of both Dartmouth College and Stanford University.  He is also married to a woman named Dixie.  How could I not love this guy?

No comments: