Thursday, May 5, 2011

Guilty Pleasures: Woodchuck Amber

c/o Healthy and Sane
I'm not what you would call a drinker.  Sure, I was a lightweight "social drinker" during my early 20s amid most of my undergraduate days at the University of Memphis.  But it wasn't until I discovered one beverage in particular, barely a year ago, that my pious sensitivity concerning alcohol would face a mandatory overhaul.

Being of the Southern Baptist tradition means eschewing secular entrapments that frequently lead to a path that nobody ever intends to take.  Although I've made my share of idiotic gaffes from which a wealth of knowledge has been brutally acquired, the requisite trials of life have, on occasion, steered me toward several pleasant twists of fate.

One momentous evening, almost by accident (for lack of a better way of describing it), I took a sip of something called Woodchuck Draft Cider.  A few minutes later, I was enthusiastically on to my second ice cold bottle of the Amber-flavored beverage.  I've been a devotee of the Vermont-based independent brewery ever since.

These fine northeasterners include a list of "mixables" on their website; a list of suggestions intended to enhance one's Woodchuck experience by which my own unpretentious concoction ultimately evolved.  The recipe for those interested, which I have branded Amber Max, is as follows:

Step 1 – Allow a bottle of Woodchuck to chill in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Step 2 – When ready to consume, place said bottle in the freezer for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Step 3 – Remove from freezer when liquid is partially frozen.

Step 4 – Pour half the contents, which should be somewhat slushed, into a glass.
Step 5 – Take a Pepsi Max from the fridge and pour half the contents into the aforementioned glass.
Step 6 – Repeat steps 4 & 5 until both swills combine into one brew.
Step 7 – Drink, enjoy, and thank me later.


Because the Woodchuck is partially frozen, you will notice the carbonated drink does not mix thoroughly at first, which is why Step 6 is crucial.  So be sure to follow the seven-step process methodically for maximum enjoyment.

Some people drink for the sole purpose of getting trashed, but not me.  In fact my preferences have never been hardcore.  I simply don't find most beverages that flavorsome.  But this one is.  Indeed I think I might've created a new classic.

No comments: