Monday, January 4, 2010

MTV's "Jersey Shore"

I've always been curious about the Northeast.  Having never been further above the Mason-Dixon than Maryland, I know little except that the winters are long and brutal, the buildings are tall and stoic, the colleges are old and expensive, and the Democrat strongholds are beyond anything to which the GOP can compare (except for Texas and Utah).

I also know about the Northerners' notoriety for surliness.  Enter Jersey Shore, MTV's newest reality show; a series so crass that UNICO -- an Italian-American organization founded in 1922 -- called for MTV to pull the series before the first episode debuted.  And having recently wasted 10 minutes of my life watching this unabashed reinforcement of every imaginable stereotype, I now understand why.

It's unreasonable to base a general opinion of over 50 million people on television, movies, and even word-of-mouth (as I am equally aware of the South's reputation).  Yet I conclude without reservation that "DJ Pauly D," "JWoww," "Snooki," and "The Situation" have almost singlehandedly quelled any desire to explore their portion of the country.  God willing, I'll keep myself where I belong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched one episode,only because the wife was watching it,and came to quick conclusion about the show.

It is a direct reflection of the failures of government runned schools,which have dumbed down the population so much we are turning into slaves.

Or, as H.A. Hayek predicted in his book Road to Serfdom, we are nothing more than well feed and entertained.

AMW said...

The show pretty much typifies everything I can't stand. Your points are valid; I would only add that it also reflects an overall breakdown of the home.