Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is celebrity relevant?

"God is not proud.  He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him."
-- C.S. Lewis (1898-1963), novelist, Oxford professor, essayist, theologian and reformed atheist

CelebAtheists.com, a website presumably dedicated to legitimizing atheism through celebrity star power has, with meticulous detail, compiled an extensive list of famous individuals who do not believe in God.  While names such as Lance Armstrong, humorist Dave Berry and financier Warren Buffett were a bit surprising, others such as Woody Allen, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Larry Flynt, Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Karl Marx and Mao Zedong not only draw apathy, but are possibly the poorest exemplars for the cause of the non-Believer.

Reveling in their self-centered intellectual vanity, the atheist movement is promoted as an enlightened counterculture that offers freedom from the oppressive bully pulpit establishment, pointing to unspeakable atrocities that would not occur if any such omniscient God existed.  The inexplicable good over which we have no control, of course, is either overlooked or dismissed as pure chance.

Christian oversights and misconceptions are celebrated, if not exploited, while no others are held accountable.  Biblical verses taken out of their intended context are referred to as "contradictions," which has become the norm because, whether atheists confess it or not, they are truculently put off by a God that plays by His own rules instead of theirs.

Have faith in atheism at your own risk.

4 comments:

Holly said...

celebrity is a terrible way to endorse anything, unless that celeb happens to be an expert, which they usually aren't

AMW said...

I concur.

Ipmilat said...

I don't believe in God any more. The whole Christian scenario of fall of man and redemption through Christ's sacrifice strikes me as absurd and moreover, morally repugnant. It is just one religious myth among millions invented by human beings over the centuries they have lived on this dangerous planet, and it is one of the least sophisticated. I reject all such myths. I moved from indifference to Christianity to Buddhism to rejection of the spiritual because I live in a society that sees religion as something personal and private and does not pressure people to profess a faith. Had I - or you - been born in Saudi Arabia, we might well be Imams. For what reason do you hold to your particular beliefs, other than that you were born into a conservative Christian milieu?

Steve.

AMW said...

Forgive the delayed response, as I've been unavailable throughout the weekend.

Your points are hardly uncommon. Indeed I was born into this Christian tradition. Yet I also got to a point where I asked myself if Christianity was right for me. And in doing so, I found that I was asking myself the wrong question altogether.

The query is not a matter of whether or not Christianity is "right for me," but a matter of Biblical veracity. In other words, "Is this the God-inspired Truth?"

I keep a schedule of issues I intend to address on my blog, and yours has been on the list for some time. So instead of writing a lengthy post about why I believe, I am going to write a comprehensive post centering on your question(s) within the next week or two.

In the meantime, there are some websites I'd like you to check out. Perhaps they can best answer your questions:

-- Ravi Zacharias, converted atheist, visiting professor at Wycliffe Hall (Oxford) and visiting scholar at Cambridge: rzim.org

-- Hank Hanegraaff, "The Bible Answer Man": equip.org

-- Dr. Charles Stanley, my personal favorite: intouch.org

-- Dr. Steve Gaines, pastor of a "mega-church" I attended for 17 years, made famous by the late Dr. Adrian Rogers: bellevuepastor.org