Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday's Quote: The South

I promised myself that I would keep defensive admonitions on the Southland's behalf to a minimum when I recommitted to this blog (seven weeks ago today, as a matter of fact). Although yesterday's post was the first since I re-upped, I find myself drawn to the topic once more in light of a few stories that were recently brought to my attention.

"They have some qualities which I cannot even presume to claim in an equal degree for the people among whom I, myself, dwell. They have an aptness for command which makes the Southern gentleman, wherever he goes, not a peer only, but a prince. They have a love for home; they have, the best of them, and the most of them, inherited from the great race from which they come, the sense of duty and the instinct of honor as no other people on the face of the earth."
-- Senator George F. Hoar (R-Massachusetts) on the floor of the U.S. Senate; February 23, 1889

No comments: